A Urgent Call to all YOWLIs!
In Niger, almost 90% of the population doesn’t have access to electricity. This in a country that is the fourth largest producer of uranium and produces enough uranium to light one in every three light-bulbs in France.
At the end of this month, the French government, their state-owned nuclear group AREVA, and the Nigerien government will sign a new mining contract to define Areva’s operating conditions for the decade to come. If that deal remains as unfair as the current one, millions of dollars will still be kept from one of the poorest countries in the world.
Today, Areva refuses to pay its tax and hangs on tax exonerations that deprives Niger from resources crucial to its development.
OSIWA, along with its Nigerien partner ROTAB, Publish What You Pay, and Oxfam France are joining forces to help ensure that Niger gets a fair deal in this upcoming negotiation. Areva has to respect the 2006 mining code and pay its taxes in Niger!
We’re reaching out to all of you to get the word out and engage in the conversation!
We have less than one month to stand with the people of Niger and ensure that the parties negotiate a fair deal for Niger.
Over 13 000 people have joined the call. You can help us by signing our petition and circulating it using the hashtag #fairAREVAdeal!
We encourage you to share posts and RT your favorite comments. Please feel free to use the tweets below.
- Help #Niger get a better deal w/ #AREVA #fairAREVAdeal http://bit.ly/1kdnH3o
- Who’s benefitting from Niger’s #uranium? #fairAREVAdeal http://bit.ly/1kdnH3o
- #Niger is one of world’s largest producers of #uranium, yet poorest countries. Where’s the logic? http://bit.ly/1kdnH3o #fairAREVAdeal
- #Niger’s CSOs, citizens & govt must unite to ensure citizens get a fair deal http://bit.ly/1kdnH3o #fairAREVAdeal @mining
- #Niger has been losing millions in #mining revenues but it could change now http://bit.ly/1kdnH3o #fairAREVAdeal @anticorruption @InfoMine
- @AREVAgroup must respect Niger’s laws and accept the 2006 mining code http://bit.ly/1kdnH3o #fairAREVAdeal
- Shouldn’thttp://bit.ly/1kdnH3o #Niger#fairAREVAdeal
- @AREVAgroup makes huge profits from #Niger’s uranium, but are Niger’s citizens benefiting from their resources? http://bit.ly/1kdnH3o#fairAREVAdeal
- Why doesn’t @AREVAgroup want to respect Niger’s 2006 mining code? http://bit.ly/1kdnH3o #uranium#fairAREVAdeal
- Uranium sales boost Areva 2013 revenue but Areva still bargains down its taxes in Niger. Unacceptable? Tell the company http://bit.ly/1kdnH3o#fairAREVAdeal
- Over 13 000 citizens have asked @AREVAgroupto respect the law in Niger. Join them! http://bit.ly/1kdnH3o #fairAREVAdeal
Thanks for your support!